There are few things that smell better than a fresh loaf of bread baking in the oven. Many people don't realize how easy it is to make their own bread at home, and the benefits are more than worth it. There are numerous advantages to baking your own bread versus buying it pre-made.
Bread from a grocery store is often loaded with sugar; sometimes white bread has as much as three grams of sugar per slice. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich for your child can contain up to 6 grams of sugar in the bread alone. Consuming large amounts of sugar is linked to various health issues, including diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. Wheat bread is a healthier option, but it can still have up to 1 gram of sugar per slice.
A great alternative is a grain-free bread, but a loaf at the store can cost anywhere from $5-$7. This recipe for a grain-free loaf is an easy way to make delicious, healthy bread at home. It uses almond flour, arrowroot flour, and coconut flour, which are excellent grain substitutes for those who are sensitive to gluten. Almond flour is low in carbohydrates and tastes slightly sweeter than wheat flour. Arrowroot flour is easier to digest, and much healthier when used in place of cornstarch. Coconut flour has a content high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
Crusty Boule Bread Recipe
- 1 cup almond flour (100g)
- 1 cup arrowroot flour (120g)
- ⅓ cup coconut flour (40 g)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1½ tbsp very finely ground chia
- 2 tbsp organic psyllium husk powder
- 1¼ cup filtered water
- 2 tsp maple syrup, coconut sugar, or honey
- 1 egg yolk + tsp water for egg wash (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot flour, coconut flour and sea salt.
- Heat water to 105–110°F. Add maple syrup and stir. Add the yeast and let stand 10 minutes. The yeast should bubble or foam. If it doesn’t, start over.
- Stir the finely ground chia and psyllium powder into the yeast mixture. Let stand 1 minute to thicken, then whisk.
- Pour the thickened yeast-chia mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until thick and fully combined. The dough will be slightly sticky, but workable. Knead for 1 minute.
- Put kneaded dough back in the bowl, cover with a damp kitchen towel and place in a warm spot to rise for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place a pizza stone in the oven to preheat.
- Divide dough into two balls. Place dough balls on a square of parchment paper or a pizza peel. Dip your hands in water and shape into nice rounded shapes. Brush with egg wash, if desired. Use a serrated knife to cut a tic-tac-toe pattern on the top.
- Slide the prepared boules onto the preheated stone. Bake 35-40 minutes. PLEASE NOTE – baking time can vary – the measure of doneness is an internal temperature of 205-210 F.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack. (Not allowing the loaf to fully cool before cutting may result in a gummy interior.) When completely cool, slice and serve or store in an airtight container. To re-crisp crust, toast or reheat in a 375 F degree oven for 5-10 minutes.
Not only is this bread recipe healthy, but it's also extremely delicious and tastes as good as anything you could buy at the store, if not better.
For more information on Weight Loss Surgery, please call BeLiteWeight today!