Maintaining a healthy diet is an important part of weight control. If you are trying to shed a few extra pounds, you do not necessarily have to starve yourself. A diet that is high in protein and fiber while also containing very little unhealthy fat can help you achieve your weight loss goals so you will be on your way to a trimmer and more confident you.
The low fat chicken breast found in this recipe provides plenty of lean protein, which is essential for building muscle. This is important if you are also incorporating exercise into your daily routine, because your metabolism increases as muscle mass increases.
Other ingredients provide essential nutrients such as Vitamin A and Vitamin C, which contributes to healthy skin, hair and nails. Vitamin C also helps to boost the immune system. These ingredients are also high in fiber, making weight loss easier because you will feel full after eating them. These ingredients include:
• Red cabbage • Napa cabbage • Carrots • Sliced scallions • Water chestnuts
Your body needs Omega 3 fatty acids to maintain heart health, even when you are striving to meet your weight loss goals. You can find plenty of ingredients that are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids including:
• Almonds • Sesame oil • Canola oil
This chicken salad is anything but bland. Several ingredients work together to give it an interesting flavor including:
• Garlic • Ginger • Soy sauce • Chili sauce • Brown sugar • Rice wine vinegar
Some ingredients help speed up metabolism in addition to providing other benefits. A few of the ingredients that pull double-duty are:
• Garlic (things blood to help prevent heart disease, cardiac arrests and stroke; contain antioxidants to help prevent other kinds of cancer; helps your joints to decrease risk of osteoarthritis; helps reduce risk of catching a cold/the flue; among other health benefits)
• Ginger (prevents and treats a cold/flu; relieves migraines; treats morning sickness; helps prevent colon cancer; helps treat ovarian cancer; lessens pain and inflammation; among other health benefits)
• Chili sauce (eating chilies, when consumed regularly, has been shown to lower cholesterol; maintain a healthy cholesterol; reduce the risk of stomach and colon cancer; help people fall asleep and sleep longer; prevent inflammation; among others)
Whether you’re enjoying a casual lunch or mid-afternoon snack, this chicken salad is a filling and delicious part of a low-fat meal. Now you can enjoy a tasty sandwich without having to worry about whether you will be able to maintain your weight loss goals.
RECIPE 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts 1 Tablespoon soy sauce ½ Teaspoon sesame oil 6 cups napa cabbage, shredded (about ½ head) 2 cups red cabbage, shredded (about ¼ head) 1 cup carrot, shredded (about 1 large carrot) 3 scallions, thinly sliced 1 8 oz. can water chestnuts, sliced 1 11 oz. can Mandarin oranges in water, drained OPTIONAL: ¼ cup toasted almonds, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. 2. Combine soy sauce and sesame oil and brush the chicken breasts with it. 3. Place chicken in a baking dish and put it into the oven. 4. Bake for approx. 12-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. 5. Remove from the oven. Once cool, cut the chicken breasts into slices ¼ in. thick. 6. Combine the chicken, napa cabbage, red cabbage, shredded carrot, scallions, water chestnuts and Mandarin oranges.
DRESSING 3 Tablespoons soy sauce 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar 2 Tablespoons canola oil 1 ½ Teaspoons sesame oil 1 Teaspoon garlic, minced 1 Teaspoon ginger, minced 2 Tablespoons brown sugar 1 ½ Teaspoons chili sauce (or chili garlic sauce)
1. Combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, canola oil, sesame oil, minced garlic, minced ginger, brown sugar and chili sauce, and whisk together. 2. Pour over the salad and top with the toasted almonds.