Summer is just around the corner which means that the hot weather is on its way. One of the most important things we can do for our body when its hot outside is to stay hydrated. We tend to sweat a lot more in the heat, and we need to make up for the water that our body has lost. Not only does it give you more supple skin, but staying well hydrated is beneficial to your brain, heart, muscles, joints, and basically anything else that helps your body keep moving. Drinking water is great, but there are other options for making refreshing beverages that are not only fun for the summer, but very beneficial to your health.
Homemade Keto Electrolyte Drink
- 6 cups water (~ 1.5 l)
- The juice of one medium lemon ( 55ml)
- ½ tsp potassium chloride or lite salt.
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan Salt.
- 2 tsp Natural Calm magnesium supplement.
- Sweetener to taste.
- Optional: 2 squeezes of Water Enhancer ( Fruit Flavored, Naturally sweetened with Stevia)
Rehydrating Infused Lemon Ginger Turmeric Water
Two indredibly powerful ingredients are tumeric and fresh lemon juice. Tumeric works as an anti-inflammatory, while lemon juice helps boost white blood cells. This recipe utilizes both to create a healthy drink that will revitalize you and quench your thirst
- Lemon -1
- Ginger- 1-inch piece
- Turmeric -1/2 tsp
- Salt- a pinch
Clean and cut the lemon into slices. Clean the ginger root and slice it. In a glass bottle layer the lemon and ginger root. Add the turmeric powder. Fill it with water, put the lid on and you’re ready to go.
Carrot Apple Protein Smoothie
Here is a recipe for an easy and delicious smoothie that is high in protein and fiber. Protein helps to build and repair tissue, while fiber helps to help you feel fuller, longer.
- 4 oz carrots – chopped
- 1 apple
- 1/4 avocado – pitted
- 1/2 cup cup apple sauce – (one container)
- 1/2 lime – juiced
- 1 tbsp pea protein
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup ice
Pro tip: For an extra creamy smoothie, or if you don’t have a high-powered blender, lightly steaming the carrots for a few minutes will help them blend quickly and smoothly.
Natural Hydration Drink Recipe for Kids
It's also good to make sure that our kids are staying hydrated after long days spent playing in the sun. This drink is more fun than plain water but not unhealthy like sugary juice or soda.
- 3 cup – sugar free coconut water
- 1 cup – raw apple juice
- 1 cup – ice
- 1/8 teaspoon – sea salt
- 1 tablespoon – honey
- 1/4 medium – lime
- 1/4 medium – orange
- Put all ingredients in a high powered blender, and blend for 1 minute.
- Pour into containers and enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for later. Will stay good in the fridge for 1 week.
- Optional: add a squeeze of lime and orange juice!
Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
There are also ways to stay hydrated that don't involve drinking. There are many foods that contain a high water content, like cucumbers, which can make a delicious meal that keeps you feeling refreshed despite the heat.
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 2 large Hass avocados (halved, pitted, peeled, and cubed)*
- 6 medium Tomato (cut into wedges)
- 2 cups English cucumber (chopped)
- 3 tbsp Fresh dill (chopped)
- 3 tbsp Fresh parsley (chopped)
For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder, and black pepper. (Alternatively, place in an airtight container and shake vigorously.)
In a large bowl, combine the avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, fresh dill, and fresh parsley.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.