Even when you're on a diet or living a healthier lifestyle to cut down on sodium and fats, you still need to have a full and hearty breakfast before you start your day. While it may seem like the only options you have are juices and smaller breakfast foods, there is still healthy and diet friendly meals that you can have in the morning that have all the fixings! This savory and light bacon Western omelet is a perfect example.
Usually when we think of bacon, there is a lot of grease and fat involved. In this omelet, it brings a smoky flavor without all of the bad fats and sodium intake that can throw you off your diet. You could even switch out the ham with turkey bacon if you so choose, but the fact still remains: this omelet is healthy, diet friendly, and only has 190 calories.
- Six large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of milk, low fat
- 3 tablespoons of butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cups of onions, diced
- 1/2 cup of green peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup of ham or turkey bacon, cooked and diced
And here are the instructions:
- Whisk together all of the eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl until the mixture is frothy and well mixed together.
- Melt one tablespoon of the butter on a large, non-stick cooking pan. Then, add in half of the onions and bell peppers and begin to cook on medium to high heat until onions are translucent. Next, add in half of the ham and allow to cook for about one minute while stirring.
- Add another part of butter and let it swirl around in the pan. Add half of the beaten eggs and milk into the pan and let it swirl around the pan to create a circle.
- Turn down heat to medium to low and cover pan with lid for about two minutes. Flip the circle and let it cook for another minute. Roll unto a plate and serve with extra toppings.