Even with all of the dieting, you can still have delectable desserts that won't leave you feeling guilty afterwards! One choice that you can make for your sweet tooth is this chocolate, chunky strawberry ice cream you can make right at home. Also, this is a sure bet for your family as a dessert as well as a great party favor.
This ice cream recipe calls for chopped, fresh strawberries that are a great source of shedding off stored fat, a low calorie intake, and have anti-aging properties. The chopped strawberries are also mixed in with chocolate nibs, which are a great source of healthy eating (in moderation!) and can help soothe that sweet tooth. This is all swirled into homemade vanilla ice cream, making it only four grams in fat.
Here is the list of ingredients you will need:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of gelatin, unflavored
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 3 cups of low fat milk
- 3 egg yolks, large
- 14 ounces of condensed sweetened milk, nonfat
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cups of chopped strawberries, fresh
- 1/4 cups of cocoa nibs (alternative: mini chocolate chips)
And here is what you need to do to:
- Take gelatin and sprinkle over water in small bowl. Let it stand, stirring at least once or twice.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of the milk into large saucepan. Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise into halves and scrape the seeds out and put them into the milk. Also add the pod.
- Heat milk in medium to high heat until it steams. Take egg yolks and condensed milk and whisk together in mixing bowl. Pour in the hot milk gradually into mixture. Take mixture and return to heat for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain custard through a sieve into large bowl. Add gelatin and whisk until everything is melted. The remaining 1 1/2 milk can be whisked into the mixture. Now cover and put in fridge for about two hours.
- Take mixture and put into ice cream maker and follow directions as needed. During the last few minutes of freezing, add in the strawberries and cocoa nibs.