With a new year, comes new lifestyle choices. One of the biggest is eating healthy and maybe shedding some pounds with dieting and exercise. However, if you have a sweet tooth or can't help yourself when it comes to those fatty foods, sometimes it can be a little hard staying on that diet! Fortunately, there are guilt-free solutions and one of them happens to be this scrumptious low calorie crème brulee.
This decadent dessert is a creamy concoction of milk, sugar, and brown sugar all combined to make something that is only 140 calories! You can also add a bit of whipped cream or even a hint of mint to this recipe, but it is good enough to eat just by itself. What makes this crème brulee so guilt free? It's all in the evaporated milk and egg, which are both low fat and egg substitute respectively.
- One can, or 12 fl. oz., evaporated low fat 2% milk
- One cup of egg substitute
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 6 teaspoons of light brown sugar
And here are the cooking instructions.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Whisk the egg substitute, evaporated milk, vanilla extract, salt, and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl. Pour a bit of the mixture into six (or however many) ramekins that hold about 6-ounces.
- Boil some water in a pan. Place the ramekins into a baking pan and pour the boiling water into the baking pan at about 1-inch deep.
- Bake the ramekins for about 35 minutes. Take out of the oven, let cool, and then place them in the fridge to set for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat the boiler. Blot the tops of the crème brulee and then add one teaspoon of brown sugar to tops of each crème brulee. Broil with the tops about 6-inches away from heat for about five minutes, allowing for the sugar to caramelize.
- Allow the tops to harden for one hour and serve.