For a hearty but healthy meal that is great during the cold winter months, try out this three cheese mac and cheese. While it may seem like it is high in fat, it is in fact made for those who are diet conscious and want to live a healthy lifestyle without sacrificing on your taste buds. Check out how this mac and cheese is good for you and how to prepare it yourself.
A combination of Gorgonzola, mozzarella, and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses, this is a mac and cheese that will be a delight to everyone! All these cheeses are low in fat and combined with the low fat milk make for an amazingly healthy dish that is still going to make you feel full.
Here is the list of ingredients you will need:
- One teaspoon of olive oil
- One cup of onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- One garlic clove, minced
- One 1/2 cups of milk, low-fat 1%
- One bay leaf
- 2 ounces of Gorgonzola, crumbled
- 3 ounces of Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 1/4 tablespoon of salt
- 2 cups of elbow macaroni
- 2/3 cups of mozzarella, shredded
- 2/3 cups of breading or panko
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
And here are the preparation instructions:
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, place oil and then add onion to pan, allowing for it to cook for about eight minutes. Now, add the flour and garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in the milk with the bay leaf and now bring it to a boil. Let it cook for about two minutes, or until it has a thick consistency. Now add the Gorgonzola and Parmigiano-Reggiano with the salt and stir until cheese has melted. Be sure to remove the bay leaf at this time.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Now, cook pasta in boiling water until tender, let it drain, and then add pasta to the cheese. Add mozzarella with dashes of pepper and then layer in casserole dish with the panko spread on top. Bake for about 25 minutes.