- Start by toasting four thick slices of healthy, high-fiber whole-wheat bread
- While your bread is toasting, fire up the stove and heat six tablespoons of brown sugar (don't overdue it) with a teaspoon of lemon zest and a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice
- After about 30 seconds (and no more than a minute), add three cups of diced strawberries to the mix
- Once your toast has popped up and out of the toaster, grab it and lather each slice with mascarpone, a lower fat alternative to butter
- Then take your deliciously sweet berry-and-sugar concoction and pour it over the toast.
In just a few minutes, you will have yourself an amazingly sweet treat that is healthier than highly processed, sugary food you can buy in the local supermarket.
First, whole wheat bread is high in cancer-fighting fiber. Second, brown sugar offers some essential vitamins and minerals–not a lot by any means, but certainly more than sugar. And finally, you can't go wrong with strawberries, which consistently find themselves listed among the most healthy foods in the world.
Strawberries are filling, yet they only have 42 calories per serving. They offer an amazing amount of vitamin C, which has been shown to fight cancer, improve your skin and can even help you fight off the aging process. And last but not least: Strawberries are chock full of nitrate, which helps improve blood flow throughout your body.
All of this is great for your health and weight loss goals, but it's even better for your sweet-tooth fix. Enjoy!