First off, Happy New Year to Everyone! The New Year is the perfect time to set personal goals you'd like to accomplish throughout 2014. If you're like many of us, we find it hard to stay on track once March rolls around. Let's make this year different. Let 2014 mark the year you follow through with what you have always wanted. New Year's resolutions come in many different forms; for some it can be to save a little more every month, spend more time with family or even lose that extra 10 pounds that you can't seem to get off.
Whichever New Year's resolution you choose, you can stick with it by following these tricks that I find work best for myself.
- Be Honest Don't give yourself some unrealistic goal that you my never reach. Instead make your goal something attainable, and thought out. If it is to lose weight, develop a clear and defined way you will go about doing this.
- Reward Yourself Create small milestones and reward yourself when you reach them. If your goal is to cut down or cut out drinking in the next year, give yourself a little treat like a new DVD when you pass up 3 drinks.
- Social Support Let your family and close friends know what your New Year's resolution is, that way when they see you staying on track or in a worst case falling off track they can give you that extra boost and reminder of what you wanted to accomplish this year.
- Take it Slow It takes time to break a habit in fact studies show its takes at least 21 days to either make or break a habit. If you slip up on one occasion don't throw in your towel just yet. Understand nothing happens overnight and all is a work in progress.
- Track Progress Progress is progress weather small steps or large. Be sure to write down you New Year's goals when you make them so you can look back on them a couple months later and see how far you've come. If like many losing weight is a goal of yours, you can track your weight loss on your smart phone by using a free application called "My Fitness Pal".
- Breathe Life happens. Sometime your work week may not give you enough time for that extra hour you promised yourself on the elliptical today; instead take the stairs tomorrow, or go for a walk on your lunch break.
Whether your 2014 New Year's Resolution is to lose weight, quit smoking or save more money, we at BeLiteWeight wish you all the best. We'd love to hear what some of your resolutions are, so please do share! And remember, stay focused, be positive and breathe!
To a prosperous, healthy and happy New Year for all! *Cheers*