For a light but rewarding meal, this weight loss recipe for veggie pesto gnocchi is amazing. You can find gnocchi for this dish in all sorts of places, but the best are going to be specialty grocery stores and authentic Italian delis because the gnocchi is going to be specially made and very fresh. However, you can get premade gnocchi from the supermarket as well.
As for the health benefits, the biggest happens to be the low sodium and salt intake of the meal from the gnocchi and vegetables. A high sodium or salt intake can be unhealthy and means a lot of bloat on your body and messing up your weight while you're trying to lose it.
The ingredients you will need are:
- 500g (17.5oz) fresh potato gnocchi
- One half sliced onion
- One fourth pumpkin cut into bite sized pieces
- Two cloves of garlic
- One can of evaporated milk
- Four tablespoons of Basil pesto
- One diced tomato
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- Six sliced button mushrooms
- One fourth red sliced capsicum
Making the dish is incredibly easy and this one in particular makes about three to four servings. Here is the step-by-step process:
- Preheat the oven to approximately 200F
- Put the chopped pumpkin bites in a bowl and begin to drizzle about one tablespoon of olive oil. Then, place on a baking sheet or tray with baking paper and bake for about twenty minutes until softened. You don't want the pumpkin to be mushy, however.
- Then, boil large pot of water and put your gnocchi in the boiling water for between three to four minutes. Drain and then set it aside.
- With two tablespoons of olive oil, heat up a large frying pan and begin to saute onions and capsicum until soft. Then, add your button mushrooms and garlic and continue to saute on medium to low heat.
- Add pesto, stir, and finally add the evaporated milk for a light and creamy texture and taste. Let simmer for a couple minutes.
- Add gnocchi and pumpkin to the frying pan, stir everything together, and serve!