You probably already know the problem with most diet food: it has no zest to it. No flavor, no spice, and it's mostly dull or boring. Well, that is until you found out about all of the latest recipes that can actually be flavorful and tasty, like this easy and simple dish of spicy potato skins. The same kind that can be found at the popular restaurant T.G.I.Fridays.
However, unlike the potato skins found at major restaurants, this recipe isn't as greasy or full of bad calories. In fact, a serving of this dish is only 310 calories. What makes these particular spicy potato skins so much better for you? Here's a rundown:
- This recipe doesn't call for so much salt, making it instantly healthier for you.
- This recipe is highly versatile, allowing for you to add vegetables without losing any quality. In fact, this recipe is great with vegetables.
- While there are some savory toppings that might not traditionally fit into a diet, everything is cooked in a way to make sure it's not deep fried or greasy.
What ingredients will you need? Here is the full list:
- Four small russet potatoes
- Olive oil, salt, and black pepper for taste
- One cup of 2% milk
- Two tablespoons of butter
- One half cup of shredded sharp cheddar
- Four chopped scallions
- One half tablespoons of minced chipotle pepper
- One fourth cup of sour cream
- Six strips of bacon
- Jalapenos, optional
And here are the cooking instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400F and bake your potatoes for 35 to 40 minutes after rubbing them with the olive oil and lightly salting the skins.
- Cut potatoes in half, scoop out insides and place into bowl. Next, mix the milk, scallions, butter, and cheese in the bowl and begin to stir. Add dashes of salt or pepper if needed.
- Scoop the mixture and place it back into the potato skins. Now, preheat the boiler and place the potato skins on top for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix sour cream and chipotle pepper together and add a dollop to the potato skins. Garnish with bacon or jalapeno or any other extra toppings.