We all know about the pork or catfish po' boy, but there is another version that is absolutely perfect for you on a diet or wish to eat healthier options and alternatives of your favorite foods. Rather than pork, chicken, or even beef, you can instead substitute the contents of a po' boy with blackened salmon like with this recipe, which is only 431 calories.
Salmon is a type of fish that is chock full of Omega-3 fatty acids, a type of "good fat" that can be easily absorbed by the body and help with the entire nutrition of the body. Not only that, but salmon is a great source of nutrition for your heart health, brain health, strengthening nerves, and even making your metabolism get a kick start to become faster at digesting foods.
In the po' boy, salmon is best when blackened. You can find a full list of the ingredients below as well as what you need to do to make this yummy and easy dish. This particular recipe serves two, so make the according adjustments if needed beforehand.
- One half small avocado
- One tablespoon of mayonnaise, reduced fat
- One teaspoon of Cajun seasoning, or blackening
- Eight ounces of salmon fillet, cut into two
- Two whole-wheat rolls, crusty, toasted and split in two
- One cup of arugula
- One plum tomato, sliced
- One fourth cup red onion, thinly sliced
And here is the preparation for the blackened salmon po' boy:
- Preheat your grill to high, making sure to oil the grill rack.
- With a fork, mash together the mayonnaise and avocado in a small bowl.
- Now, rub your seasoning or blackening on your salmon (both sides), placing the salmon on the grill. Cook for about three to four minutes.
- Once finished, spread the avocado and mayonnaise mixture on one half of each roll then top it with the arugula, tomato, onion, and blackened salmon.