If you need a quick snack, a healthy appetizer for a party, or even a full meal that needs to be on the lighter side, this recipe for bite-sized Chinese turkey and lettuce wraps are the perfect choice.
And another great thing about this particular recipe? Certain ingredients can be swapped out to make it into an awesome summertime dessert snack or given some extra spice.
Not only are these Chinese turkey and lettuce wraps delicious, they are also incredibly healthy for you. Check out some of the healthiest ingredients in the recipe:
- Turkey is a great protein alternative to beef, pork, or even chicken. It is leaner and still quite hearty.
- The entire wrap is encased in fresh lettuce, which is great for those of you on diets and still want something filling in a meal.
- The brown rice used instead of white rice is much better for the heart and won't have any bad fats in it that cause all of that bloat in the body.
- Fresh herbs, along with fresh ginger, are also very helpful for the body's overall health while adding exotic flavor.
This super easy recipe makes roughly around four servings, or six wraps. You can measure accordingly for a smaller serving size if needed.
- One half cup of water
- One half cup of brown rice
- Two teaspoons of sesame oil
- One pound of lean ground turkey
- One tablespoon of fresh ginger
- One large red bell pepper
- Eight ounce can of water chestnuts, chopped
- One half cup of low sodium chicken broth
- Two tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- One teaspoon of five-spice powder
- One half teaspoon of salt
- Two heads of Boston lettuce
- One half cup of fresh herbs (Cilantro, basil, mint and chives are best)
- One large carrot, shredded
- Boil ½ cup water in a small saucepan. Once boiling, add the rice and reduce the heat to low. Cover the saucepan, cook for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Add sesame oil in a large, non-stick saucepan on medium-high heat. Once heated, add the turkey and ginger and cook for approx. 5-7 minutes until the turkey is cooked through and crumbed.
- Incorporate the rice, bell pepper, water chestnuts, chicken broth, hoisin sauce, five-spice powder and salt and cook for approx. 1 minute until heated all the way through.
Spoon the Chinese turkey mixture into each lettuce leaf, top with the fresh herbs and carrots and then roll into wraps. Enjoy!